Our Story

Our History

1866: Official founding of the church with services held in the courthouse or at other churches.

1882: Incorporated as First Congregational Church of Hillsboro and purchased a lot for $200.

1888: Dedicated the building at our current location and acquired the tower bell.

1916: Started the first Boy Scout troop in Hillsboro. We continue to host Boy Scout and Girl Scout troops.

1948: Voted to approve formation of the United Church of Christ.

1959: Dedication of the Fellowship/Education Building.

1962: Columbus Day storm damaged the church building so much that it had to be razed. The congregation met in the Fellowship Hall until 1965.

1965: Dedication of the new sanctuary.

1966: Centennial celebration and re-dedication of the tower bell.

1977: Our first year contributing to family Christmas baskets.

2002: Congregation voted on and became Open and Affirming.

2017: Voted to become an Immigrant Welcoming congregation.

2018: Began "2020 Vision Capital Campaign" and building renovations.

News article about the sanctuary groundbreaking ceremory in 1964.

Our Previous Pastors

2016-present: Adam Hange
2016: Ellen Green (interim)
2014-2016: Roger Lynn (interim)
1992-2014: Diane Dulin
1989-1992: G. Jenkins (interim)
1987-1988: David Zaworski
1986: P. H. Oliver (interim)
1983-1986: H. S. Nickerson
1975-1982: Ned Luther
1972-1975: Dr. L. Reynolds, Jr.
1969-1971: William Greene

1963-1967: Billy E. Evans
1962: Dr. L. Reynolds, Jr. (interim)
1959-1962: William O. Smith
1954-1959: William A. Ebertz
1949-1953: Kenneth Coates
1939-1946: Dr. Arthur J. Sullens
1934-1938: T. Arthur Dungan
1929-1934: H. S. Haller
1924-1928: L. A. Young
1919-1924: Herbert Deck
1917-1918: Dr. A. B. Shaw

1914-1916: Rev. Harris
1910-1914: Evan P. Hughes
1909: Frank Adams
1903-1908: Rev. Gilpatrick
1902-1903: R. H. Kennedy
1896-1902: Evan P. Hughes
1892-1895: J. M. Dick
1889-1892: B. F. Moody
1887-1889: Columbus Derrick